[Projectleiding] Risk management, mitigation and contingencies

Walter van Holst walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 12 10:38:48 CEST 2020

Hi Projectleiding,

To add to Aschwin's question, just the other day I had a high-profile
speaker not willing to entertain the notion of speaking at MCH2021
because of his co-morbidities and his expectations that there won't be a
vaccine before 2022.

It would be realy helpful to have at least an outline of what measures
would be in place *if* MCH2021 goes through. Everybody will be
understanding that such an outline won't be exhaustive or definitive,
but it would be good to have transparency about the extent we're
prepared for different scenario's.

I can only imagine that this may also be part of the conversation with
Team Permit.

It would be good to be able to provide insights to all participants into
what happens in at least the following scenarios:

* We cancel (do we do a do-over in 2022?)
* We go through, but at smaller scale? What would that scale be? What
will happen if presales of tickets are more than that smaller scale permits?
* The permit puts in requirements such as an alcohol ban? Or minimum
distance between tents of 5m? Or between chairs of 3m?

Moreover, we are heading to a first go/no-go decision. Our understanding
is that it primarily is a decision whether the sponsoring situation
would make a later no-go decision survivable or not and that in the face
of too large uncertainty it will be a no-go. Which is completely
understandable. But brings us back to the question, will it then be 2022?

Furthermore, a "go" then means additional go/no-go decisions. The first
one has finances as its main dependency, later ones are likely to have
different ones. It would be good to have a public mapping of these and a
public timeline for such future go/no-go moments.

And, dare I add, as a poor project manager myself, a public risk
register and corresponding mitigation and contingency measures, being
updated on a regular basis. We're dealing with a world in which it is
not unthinkable MCH2021 would be canceled by the Safety Region *during*
the event itself.

Regards,

 Walter