[Projectleiding] MCH2021 ticket sales timeline

Juerd Waalboer juerd at tnx.nl
Sat Dec 28 22:19:32 CET 2019

Looks fine, and I'm enthousiastic about the coupon concept. Let's hope
our visitors like it as much as we do.

Attilla de Groot skribis 2019-12-28 15:11 (+0100):
> - April 2020 (day tbd): Start selling coupons
> — Terms & conditions ready

Just to make sure: the things *under* time point, are dependencies that
need to be done first, right? So T&C first, start selling after that.

> - Mid-December 2020: Start ticket sales
> - From January 1st 2021, increase pricing bi-weekly with to be
> determined value
> (...)
> - Raising ticket prices after sales starts will, hopefully, incentify
> visitors not to buy their at the last moment

Although I generally like the concept of increasing the prices (a
similar thing with "early bird" rates worked well for HAR2009 iirc),
I think bi-weekly is rather gradual. Wouldn't larger steps give a greater
sense of urgency?

> Using this timeline has clear advantages for both ourselves and the visitors:
> - Providing clear information on the procedure prevents a surprise
> sale for visitors

I think a clear explanation of the rationale about why the early
cashflow is necessary to keep the overall costs reasonable, is indeed
really important for this thing to succeed as intended.

> - Selling coupons gives us, hopefully, necessary cashflow. It will
> also give visitors the possibility to “save” money for a ticket if we
> provide a ticket guarantee.

This "if", does that selling coupons without a guaranteed option to buy
a ticket is also on the table? If so, why, and how would that work?

How do we deal with unused coupons? Given a guaranteed ticket, this
could mean a visitor spot is reserved but only a fraction of the money
is paid. Given a non-guaranteed ticket, it could be that someone has
paid a part of a ticket but has no chance to buy a ticket when the event
is sold out. Will we need to issue refunds? Should there be a
coupon-only phase before the regular ticket sales? Is there a deadline
for buying your guaranteed ticket?

> - Having a fixed value increase would still provide the possibility to
> give discounts for specific reasons (e.g a discount voucher at EH or
> another event)

HAR2009 had discount codes, that were nice for statistics too. (Everyone
got the discount for HAR, even they didn't have a code.) I wonder if
these stats are still available somewhere, as it may give some insight
into the more successful marketing efforts.
--
Met vriendelijke groet, // Kind regards, // Korajn salutojn,

Juerd Waalboer  <juerd at tnx.nl>
TNX