[Projectleiding] Short intro: Koen de Jonge aka SynQ

Koen de Jonge sha at hackerattic.nl
Sun Jun 30 21:29:35 CEST 2019

Good evening gents,

as I said yesterday I intend to be very, very involved in SHA2021 so I
thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself in the context of
the 'ultimate hacker event' orga. If you'll let me I would like to join
the 'projectleiding' team.

My name is Koen de Jonge, on irc (and other places where using a nick
name is appropriate) I go by the nick SynQ. I am 44 years old now and I
live in Dordrecht with my wife Tessa, three kids: Emma (10), Huub (8)
and Lieke (6) and a dog Quibus (1.5).

I have been to HIP97 (that guy with the fore-hammer demolishing win95
cd's, that was me), HAL2001 (which was sort of a 'home game' to me being
part of Data Net Drienerlo) and SHA2017 (the first event I was able to
visit since a long time, due to having my own business in IT
infrastructure and family-life). BTW I came to SHA2017 by boat.

Since 2016 I have been trying to move all of my business efforts slowly
back to 'hacker ethic' practices. Part of that is being (very) active in
the community. Since 2016 I am a member of the NLUUG program committee
organizing two conferences a year, last may I joined the board of the
NLUUG to try to do more.

This may I became a participant of Revspace, a place where I feel very
much at home. It's a pity I am not able to come very often to 'just hang
out', I hope I'll be able to bend that a bit.

I have quite some 'orga' experience:
First I run my own business ProcoliX (and Inprove IT) for almost 19
years now. Currently it's just my employee and myself, but a few years
ago that company was more than 10 fte large, only recommended if you
make enough money to pay them btw. ;)
Second I have organized disco's and events for 'de Koornbeurs' in Delft
(with more than 15K euro turnover a night in the top days).
Third I have been involved in countless more or less organized events
larger and smaller.

I like it best when something is organized so well that it feels as if
there is no organization required during the actual event. Road maps,
execution plans, fall back plans and checklists give you the option to
make choices when something unexpected happens. I would really like to
put my efforts there. I do have to say: I am not (and will never be) a
bureaucratic 'project planner', I am more a very practical
'boerenverstand' kind of guy.

Something else I would really like to put effort in to is getting
sponsors. I think having enough to spend makes our event easier to
organize and more fun (since there is more to spend on fun things). I do
think we need to get the mix right: ethics go first and the event should
be supported by the sponsors in the most unobtrusive way possible. I
have already understood that every possible orga member has their own
ideas of what the sponsoring should look like. Communication and clear
choices (both directed inwards and outwards) are very important.

There is much more to tell about me, but this is probably already too
much. Let's get to work! :)

Thanks,
Koen de Jonge (SynQ)