[Projectleiding] My 2ct on MCH202x

Arnout Engelen arnout at bzzt.net
Wed Mar 3 21:56:05 CET 2021

Hi,

In the Mumble today it was requested to spam PL with opinions, so here are mine!

First off, of course I'm sad that MCH2021 is off the table, but it's a reasonable decision. Thank you for all your hard (ongoing!) work.

It's been heartwarming to see the community support for the choice, in public and on info at mch2021.org, including the offers to help with donations/delayed-refunds/... .

"online events" don't really work for me personally, but if there's a couple of energized people who want to form a 'PL' around that I think we should support them (but not call it MCH). If we can make the 'badges' widely available I could definitely see those be a part of longer-running projects, including online asynchonous collaboration, workshops at hackerspaces throughout the years, etc etc. - though TBQH I haven't seen that happen as much as I'd hoped with other badges.

I would like to keep the organization 'alive' for a postponed full-size MCH. Due to conflicts with other events my feeling is that's not really realistic for 2022/2023/2024, but I'd be kinda ok with an MCH2025. If I understood correctly there was some talk about 'disbanding' the current PL and finding a new one to organize the 'new MCH' (whether it's 2022 or 2025). I would much prefer to keep the current structure - though of course it is very understandable if some people want to take some distance.

Just my 2ct,

Arnout